Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dec. CR Newsletter Entry


What an odd thing. An upside down tree. From what I've heard and read these "novelty items" have been around for a few years. They HAVEN'T grown on me. Although I find them odd and somewhat disturbing I do find them an accurate depiction of the way we view the Christmas season. One of the premises of these upside down trees is "... just think how many more packages you'll be able to pile under the tree!". (from About.com:interior decorating). What a skewed view of the proper way to celebrate the most precious gift we have ever received...the Christ child.

I also find this "upside down" way of thinking relative to my recovery walk. I came to Celebrate Recovery thinking that I could be of service to those "hurting people". How lost and deceived I was. I was in complete denial of my own issues of pride, co-dependency and unforgiveness. The premise of my life was to try and fit as many "good" things as I could into my days. I thrived while pleasing man and knowing that I had done whatever possible to fit in to my surroundings. I was trying so hard to please God AND man and doing a miserable job at BOTH. Praise God that He opened my eyes to the reality of my life. I was living upside down. Although this lifestyle might have been "in vogue" with the world, it was SIN. Now I revel in the simplicity of my life. I praise God for Celebrate Recovery and the knowledge of the freedom that comes in living "one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time". I'm certainly not perfect. I have a long way to go. There are still upside down days where I struggle with self-sufficiency, pride, unmet expectations, poor attitudes, and unforgiveness. However I can now see those character defects for what they are...SIN. I submit them to the Lord, humbly ask Him to remove them and go back to living my life, HIS life in me. This Christmas realize that Christ came that you might "..have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10). Come and join us ANY Tues. night as we allow God to work in us and bring us back down to reality and out of the denial of our upside down lives. God bless you and Merry Christmas.

Grounded in Him,

Janelle Flint

No comments: