Tuesday, December 23, 2008

January CR Newsletter




res⋅o⋅lu⋅tion - 1.a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
2.the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
3.the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.


This time of year people make "resolutions". I used to participate in this New Year's "tradition". However, I stopped many years ago because honestly I wasn't keeping them and then I struggled with this list of things that I hadn't accomplished. I was condemned by my own desire to do things but my inability to carry them out. You know I can relate to Paul in Romans chapter 7. The Message puts it this way (vs. 17-20) "But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time." Have you ever been there? Wanting to so something good, but not knowing how to do that very thing.

As the new year starts I would encourage you to throw away the lists of things that you probably won't accomplish. I would ask you to try looking into God's word for His lists of things for us to "do", "be" and "accomplish". These lists have eternal value and are even better then losing "x" amount of pounds (if you can believe that..hahaha!). Micah 6:8 says "No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (NLT). That list is a LOT shorter then the ones I make for myself. How about this list in Luke 10:27 (HCSB) "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself."

Be blessed as you enter 2009. Please know that if you struggle with wanting to do good, be good, change the way you are YET are not able to do so, that you are NOT ALONE. There is a place for you in CR. Join us on Tuesday nights as together with me and lots of other people we admit that (Janelle's version of Step 1) we are powerless over our hurts, habits and hang-ups, and that our lives have become unmanageable.

Here's to LASTING CHANGE,

Janelle Flint

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey!
It would be GREAT to get together to chat! When does the bible study start? What time? I hope we can get together soon!! Love ya!