Saturday, August 16, 2008

CR Article for March

I realize it's NOT March, but I'm just sharing some past work. Hope you enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merriam-Webster's Online dictionary states that CELEBRATE means to observe a notable occasion with festivities. It goes on to say that RECOVERY is the process of overcoming a disorder or shortcoming.

So...why would anyone want to gather to have a meal, worship and share a time of festivity about overcoming their shortcomings? It almost seems as if Celebrate Recovery is an oxymoron or a contradictory term. Yet, Praise God it IS NOT. John 8:36 (HCSB) says "Therefore if the Son sets you free, you really will be free. Galatians 5:1 (HCSB) says "Christ has liberated us into freedom. Therefore stand firm and don't submit again to a yoke of slavery." So, we "party" each week because of Christ's work, NOT our shortcomings. We celebrate together knowing Christ is the One who is doing the recovering. We are simply working the principles and steps to allow His victory to be realized in our lives.

Easter is this month. There is so much to celebrating Easter. When I think of this day it brings up images of new shoes, fancy dresses, LOTS of candy. It also makes me think of too much food with family and friends. We are one of those families that does ham and chicken because we can't decide. And are they called "deviled" eggs because the evil one wants us to gain weight? I've always wondered. I know I will be attending a glorious service with music and celebration of Jesus' resurrection. I will even be attending a wedding this Easter Sunday. Easter means giving AND receiving. We receive Christ's love for us so we can give it away. That's the 8th principle "Yield myself to God to be used to bring this Good News to others, both by my example and by my words."

I can't think of a better way to realize God's salvation plan than to come to Celebrate Recovery. Celebrate Recovery IS an Easter celebration. The American Heritage dictionary says this about Easter. Easter is a Christian feast commemorating the resurrection of Jesus. We do this EVERY Tuesday as we gather to give thanks to God for His Son Jesus Christ and the work that was done on Calvary. As I answer my questions, work the steps and principles in my small group, I'm practicing Easter. As I sing praises in the time of worship, I'm celebrating Easter. As I hear a testimony and hear of God's work in some one's life, I'm celebrating Easter. As I meet with my accountability partner to pray and share life WE are celebrating Easter. As I learn to live a life of victory in Christ I am celebrating Easter and CELEBRATING RECOVERY. See the connection?

Happy Easter. Why don't you come join us? You can even wear your new "fancy" church shoes. We always have sweets and I bet I could arrange a plate of deviled eggs. Be blessed in the month of March and know that you are welcome each and every Tuesday night for an Easter party!!!

No comments: