Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Good Fences"


"Good fences make good neighbors.", at least that's what Robert Frost said. Well to be honest if I saw a new fence being built in my neighbor's yard I would be offended. I struggle with co-dependency. I wonder what people think of me and I want to please ALL people, ALL the time. I would wonder why the fence was being built. I would dwell on the fact that they think I'm not a good neighbor. Do you see the skewed thinking pattern? Maybe the fence is to keep their children in, or their animals. Maybe it is simply a boundary. I'm learning a lot about boundaries these days in CR. I am learning not to view fences as negative things. I am also learning that it doesn't matter what's on the "other side" of the "fence". My life is on THIS side. I am to take care of MY OWN "yard". My life is MY life. Sounds like a simple thing to some of you, but it is a BIG thing for people like me who struggle with co-dependency and people pleasing. You know the "grass is greener..." mentality really isn't doing anyone ANY good. Do you know why the grass is greener on the other side of the fence? Maybe it's all the manure over there you just can't see? I say all of that to say, I'm grateful for my life. I'm grateful for CR and I'm grateful for the boundaries I'm learning to recognize AND make in my life. CR is a safe place. There is a "fence" around the information that you share on Tuesdays. It is a confidential place to share life together and to grow and change. Why not see what's on THIS side. You're welcome....

Still growing,

Janelle Flint

No comments: