Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Journey to Wholeness

A friend of mine and co-worker is going through the valley of cancer right now. She is walking this journey with grace and dignity. Today I had a wonderful exchange with her. She admitted to me her fear, anger, disapointment, and concern for herself AND her family. She told me how she "buzzed" the last of her hair last week and how she hates to wear her wig, but feels she must here at work. She worries about letting people down. She worries and struggles and fears and doubts...AND she loves, believes and serves a RISEN SAVIOR.

That's the part I love the most. This lady is REAL. She knows about heaven. She knows God can heal. She believes in the redeeming power of the cross AND she knows she's not perfect, and doesn't have to try to be something or someone she's not. She doesn't know what the next few months will bring. She's not looking forward to her treaments. She feels sick, tired and scared. I love her and pray for her.

What inspired me today to write this is the fact that to get to wholeness (in my opinion) we have to be broken first. I guess what I'm saying is that until we realize just how broken, lost and dependent we are on Jesus we can't be truely, completely and divinely whole.

Some of you reading this are going to be offended. You will think "Jesus doesn't cause cancer". Well how about this passage in John 9:1-3 (NLT) [As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. “Rabbi,” his disciples asked him, “why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?” “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.] I don't think my friend got cancer because of her sin. I don't think she caused this in anyway. I think God wants to reveal Himself to her, her family and to EVERYONE through cancer. Does God cause cancer???? Does God just "allow" things to happen. It's a double-sided coin. I am not a scholar, theologian or professor. I am not knowledgable beyond just my young years and petty insight. However, I take from this that God WILL RECEIVE GLORY through my friend's life AND death (whenver that might be and from WHATEVER cause).

I pray that my friend will be here on earth with us for MANY more years. I pray that she will watch her grandchildren grow. I pray that she will, with God's help, beat cancer. Yet, more importantly, I pray that God's will be done in her life, and that I have front row seats to the display of His glory in her life and in her illness.

Her favorite song is "I Will Rise" by Chris Tomlin. I'm not sure my friend even reads my blog, but that's ok. This isn't for her. It's for me. To remind me of her strength, power and beauty that comes SOLELY and COMPLETELY from God. Enjoy this video and pray for my friend (God knows her name)

No comments: