Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent

Advent-"a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas." (per Wiki)

Once again we are going to try and observe the season/period of Advent here in our home.  I have a wreath that I am hoping to set up today.  That is if I have time between changing diapers, cooking a couple of side dishes for our afternoon lunch with our out of town family, sucking little snotty noses with a bulb syringe, catching up on "Mount Washmore" (thanks Traci), and general household stuff.  One tradition/observance that I miss from our time in the UMC denomination is the "Hanging of the Greens".  Basically it is where the church is prepared for the Advent/Christmas season.  Sometimes it takes place in a ceremonious way.  Other times depending upon the church preference it takes place as a communal gathering complete with carols, cookies and fellowship.  It was always a lot of fun.  Hoping that we can finish up some decorating stuff around our house today. 

I love the expectancy and hope of Advent.  "Shepherds Abiding" by Jan Karon from the Mitford series is a tradition for me.  It is a lovely tell of the hope and joy found during this season.  I am praying that as the years pass I will be able to plant within the hearts of my children the expectancy, hope, joy and mystery of Christmas. 

For those of you who have been reading my blog for sometime I am about to start my annual "Favorite Christmas Carol" posts.  Should be staring those on the 1st of December.  Happy Advent and Merry Christmas to all.

Emmanuel is with us,

Janelle

No comments: