Wednesday, March 5, 2008

God's Promise


The Message states in Genesis 9:12 "God continued, 'This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and everything living around you and everyone living after you. I'm putting my rainbow in the clouds, a sign of the covenant between me and the Earth. From now on, when I form a cloud over the Earth and the rainbow appears in the cloud, I'll remember my covenant between me and you and everything living, that never again will floodwaters destroy all life. When the rainbow appears in the cloud, I'll see it and remember the eternal covenant between God and everything living, every last living creature on Earth.'"

Yesterday on our way to church we saw the most breathtaking rainbow I think I've EVER seen. I hope to have Nathan post pictures of it soon. Although they absolutely WILL not do the experience justice. It was the brightest complete, DOUBLE rainbow that I am aware of seeing. The children were all surprised. I take it for granted that at the ages of 3 and 6 EVERYTHING is a gift to them. JoyAnn especially thought it was interesting and even metioned that she had never seen "a rainbow like Noah before". After the rainbow there was the most interesting and uniquely beautiful sky. Although it did mean that somewhere a tornado was happening, for us in the areas of pink, green and yellow with this fog rising it was quite breathtaking.

Although it lasted for just a brief moment in time it was a much needed reminder to me that God is faithful. That he keeps his promises and that his covenants are still binding today. It also reminded me that we can see God's glory and majesty all around us daily if we just look at our creation as a gift. We can see through the eyes of a child and find everything wonderous if we just slow down long enough to do so.

No comments: