Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tug-o-War


Do you remember playing tug of war as children in elementary school?

I often wondered why we played that game? It wasn't about fair team competition. It was about winning. It was about fighting. It was about conquering. However, oddly enough the best way to win was for everyone on one side to LET GO of the rope.

I am at a point in my life where I need to LET GO of the rope. My life is unmanageable. God and I have been tugging about some areas in my life. I need to just let the rope go! Not so God will fall on his butt (ha!ha!) but so I can be free from striving and able to grab the LIFE rope that God has thrown me!

I made a list last night of all the things that I liked about myself in high school/college. I made a list of the things I like about myself now. I made a list of the things I don't like about myself now. Things I'm still tugging with and things I'm ready to let go of so I can MOVE ON!!! I think this rope burn needs to heal!!! This woman is TIRED! I'm tired of tugging...

I can see myself relfected in my children. My oldest struggles with holding onto the rope too tightly as well. I often think how silly Joseph is being, but then I realize he is a lot like me! Joseph doesn't realize that he would be so much better off if he would just stop struggling. Yet, watching him makes me think of how I strive and struggle with God. Parents really do know best most of the time! God is the ultimate parent! He knows what's best for me and ALL of his kids ALL of the time.

Pray for me and for my son that we will learn the lessons God has for us. That we would enjoy life. That we would enjoy EACH OTHER! That we would stop playing this silly game of tug-of-war!!!

Have a blessed day!

No comments: