Monday, November 19, 2012

"Be Thankful"

Yesterday's sermon was on I Thes. 5:18  "in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."  As a part of our "If" series, this sermon was so powerful.  Today I want to share on the teaching of gratitude.  I've been sharing daily (well when I can) things I'm grateful for, but now I have a totally new appreciation for true gratitude.  Let me say that I am grateful for the move of the Holy Spirit and His ability to teach His children.  Praise be to God for using Tim Moore (our pastor) to bring the TRUTH to us.

1.  "Be thankful"- Eucharistate (in the Greek).  As a present and active verb this is to be linear, continual and intentional as opposed to a one time action of gratitude.  So we were reminded that EVERY time we share the eucharist (or Lord's meal) we are sharing a Thanksgiving meal together as a family of God.  The application question here...Am I intentional about gratitude???


2.  "In every circumstance"- En Panti (Greek).  Everything...ALL things (check out Rom. 8:28 and II Cor. 1).  Application-we CAN be thankful in all circumstances.  No pain or hurt is wasted IF given to God to redeem.

3.  "for this is the will of God"- Thelema Theou (Greek).  This is the actual desire of God.  God has deep desires for His children.  Living a life of complete gratitude is God's desire/plan for us.  

4. "for those who belong to Christ"- En Kristo (Greek).  Eph. 1:3 in Christ, as His child, I have ALL spiritual blessings in HIM!  I can take off my heaviness, rest in my Lord and the simplicity of the GOSPEL!!!

I Pet. 3:18 "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;"  The entire gospel in one verse.  I need to SLOW DOWN, stop pursuing the American "dream" and live a life of gratitude.  My life was designed to be a perpetual display of gratitude for God's love and mercy.  Oh God, make me a display of your splendor!!!





No comments: